Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Mid-Summer Intermission










Top down:
(1) We got experience some great sunsets out there in the field, this one is looking towards the wind farm.
(2) Some of the wheat country scenery.
(3) The combine doing its job with a nice old barn in the background, couldn't resist the temptation to take this one!
(4) This is the tractor I got to drive pulling the "bank out wagon" basically a big trailer that the combine dumps into, then I drove it to a semi where I offloaded into its trailers via the auger. Then the semi hauled it to grain elevators on the Columbia River. This tractor and bank out combination was big, measured in at 13'6" wide and fully loaded with grain I figured it to weigh around 110,000 pounds!
(5) This is another picture of the combine offloading into the bank out wagon. This unloading process usually took place on the move, while the combine was still cutting/thrashing I would received the grain from the combine's offloading auger in the bank out wagon. However for picture taking I couldn't get a picture of this while on the move so I had to wait till we the combine operator finished a section and dumped while stopped. If I get lucky, and can convince the farmer, I will post a picture or two of this process on the move as he took a few while we were working close to the semi reload area.
(End note) Wheat harvest is a pretty enjoyable time, but very weather dependent so very hard to schedule anything around it. Makes it a bit frustrating to be in the middle of construction while doing this. But hey I get paid for it so its like paid vacation!

No comments:

Post a Comment